2020/21 R.E. Mountain Secondary School Study Block Contract
R.E. Mountain Secondary offers a rich variety of courses and believes that students should take advantage of the opportunity for a full education. In-school study blocks are a privilege reserved for senior students who have ample credits and challenging course loads.
Grade 12 Students are allowed a MAXIMUM of ONE study block. All Grade 12 students are required to take seven full time courses within the timetable, including their Life Connections (CLC) Block. CLC is a course that only requires students to attend two class out of possible three per week. With one study block, a student will have a total of FOUR study classes available per week.
Grade 11 Students are encouraged to be actively involved in eight courses. A MAXIMUM of ONE study block may be granted if a student meets one of the following criteria:
- The student is enrolled in an extended day course ie. Choir
- The student is taking a Distributed Learning course outside of Mountain Secondary is eligible for a study block during which the student is expected to work on the DL
- The student is maintaining a heavy academic load, such as two sciences, that would benefit from a study block (permission from parents and administration required).
Grade 9 and 10 Students There are no study blocks for grade 9 and 10 students. In extenuating circumstances, the administration may place a grade 9 or 10 student in a custodial study with a class.
Expectations of Study Blocks
- Students are encouraged to work in the Learning Commons or collab spaces during their study block.
- Students are allowed off the school property with parents’ permission.
- Students must report to the letter “X” in the evacuation area during an emergency evacuation.
Students choosing to use the library commons during their study block are expected to:
- Use the library for quiet study, reading or computer/network access
- Respect library rules & procedures
Study Block Contract
Students must apply for a study block that must be signed by their parent and approved by the administration and counselling department. Please submit a completed Study Block Contract to counselling by February 17. If the application for a study block is successful, one course will be dropped from the student’s course requests.