2020/21 R.E. Mountain Secondary School Study Block Contract
R.E. Mountain Secondary offers a rich variety of courses and believes that students should take advantage of the opportunity for a full education. In-school study blocks are a privilege reserved for senior students who have ample credits and challenging course loads.
Grade 12 Students are allowed a MAXIMUM of ONE study block. All Grade 12 students are required to take seven full time courses within the timetable, including their Life Connections (CLC) Block.
Grade 11 Students are encouraged to be actively involved in eight courses. A MAXIMUM of ONE study block may be granted if a student meets one of the following criteria:
- The student is enrolled in an extended day course ie. Choir
- The student is taking a Distributed Learning course outside of Mountain Secondary is eligible for a study block during which the student is expected to work on the DL
- The student is maintaining a heavy academic load, such as two sciences, that would benefit from a study block (permission from parents and administration required).
Grade 9 and 10 Students There are no study blocks for grade 9 and 10 students.
Expectations of Study Blocks
- Students are encouraged to work in the Learning Commons or collab spaces during their study block.
- Students are allowed off the school property with parents’ permission.
- Students must report to the letter “X” in the evacuation area during an emergency evacuation.
Students choosing to use the library commons during their study block are expected to:
- Use the library for quiet study, reading or computer/network access
- Respect library rules & procedures
Study Block Contract
Students must apply for a study block that must be signed by their parent and approved by the administration and counselling department. Please submit a completed Study Block Contract to counselling by February 17. If the application for a study block is successful, one course will be dropped from the student’s course requests.